Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wanted Posters, Helicopters and Wheat Fields

Wanted For Unlicensed Blogging
Do Not Attempt To Apprehend!


2 hours 2 minutes / 16.8 miles.  Started at 0520.

I decided to go down a familiar road and then take a side road I've never been on.  Unfortunately, when I got on that side road, it turned out to be a dead end.  Why don't they post signs at the beginning of the road to tell you that kind of stuff?

So I turned around and went back to the main road and continued on familiar ground for a few more miles.  When that road ended, I turned right instead of left like I usually do.

I was now on one of the main roads in the area.  Of course, when you live in a rural area, a main road is just a two lane road with traffic from the country folks driving to and from the city!

The road had wide shoulders that were partly smooth and bumpy.  I saw a couple guys on regular bikes and encountered my first jogger coming from the opposite direction.  By the pained look and sweat on his face, it made me glad I was riding my comfortable trike.  I was exercising, as well, but he didn't look like he was having as much fun as I was!

When I was headed back toward home, I was on road with a smooth shoulder, so I decided to sprint for a while just to burn a few extra calories.  I shifted into high gear and started pounding the pedals.  I got the trike up to 19 mph and kept it there for a few minutes and then sat back and cruised down the road.

After that, it was a short jaunt down a few side roads and then I was home again.