Thursday, July 22, 2010

Death Cab For Cutie

I came within a split second and 3 inches of being A.R.K. (Arizona Road Kill) on my ride today. But more about that later.


We have finally been getting some rain in Southern AZ, so it means lots of heavy clouds and cooler temps for a change.

I usually ride from 5:30 to 8:30 or 9 to avoid the morning heat. Today, I was out from 5:10 until 10:45!

I wasn't planning on being out that long, but with the nicer weather, I couldn't resist.

After a while it started raining right as I was entering a single lane construction zone with barriers on both sides and traffic in front and back.

BTW, it's the first time I've had to ride in the rain. I have no fenders, so I had dirt, sand, grime and probably enough crap on my arms and legs to send Howie Mandel into a Germophobic Frenzy.

It only rained for 10 minutes, but in spite of the puddles and getting wet, I had a blast.

So I'm cruising down this two lane rural road having a good time in the wet weather.

This road is long and flat and it was daylight with no visibility problems.

I decide to make a left turn and go down some side roads.

I check my mirror and I can see headlights about a mile or so behind me.

There is no shoulder on this road, so I move over and take the lane and extend my left arm out with my index finger indicating the way I was going to turn.

I'm holding my arm out for an entire bloick before I get to the turn.

Right as I started into the left turn, I can hear this car coming up fast behind me.

In the split second this whole thing happened, I remember thinking "Why is this guy riding my ass?" I figured he'd just keep going as soon as I got out of his way.

OH NO!

This Dum Bass Maggot Farming Cab Driving Son on the Beach is obviously out of his Vulcan mind! (How's that for being politically correct?)

Anyway, as I cross over into the other lane as I make my left turn, this idiot is passing me on the LEFT side!

He came so close to me I could've reached out and touched the side of the cab without hardly extending my arm. If I had still had my arm fully extended he would've ripped it off.

It happened so fast I didn't have time to do anything. I don't even remember if I stopped pedaling. I do know I didn't have time to even think about using my brakes.

All I saw was this white cab with green stripes go flying by within 3 inches of hitting my left foot as it went by.  We were in a 45 MPH zone, but he had to be going at least 55 or 60.

He didn't even bother to slow down, let alone stop to see if I was okay.

The funny thing is, I wasn't the least bit scared or shaken up. I kept going down the road and was thinking to myself "I just about got splattered all over the road."

Until today, the most miles I've done on one ride was 36 miles. I decided to do 40 miles today.

I kept pedaling and the cloud cover wasn't moving and there was still a nice breeze going. Perfect weather for a ride!

After a few more miles, I started thinking back to my little brush with death.

Here I am riding down the road, all wet and dirty....But...I AM ALIVE!
I figured since I was blessed enough to not get hit by that cab and since the weather was so nice, I said "Screw 40 miles. I'm going for 50!"

I had enough water, so I was in good shape.

I hit the 40 mile mark and headed down a stretch of road that I knew was 11 miles long. After going what I thought was about halfway, I turned around and headed for home.

I'm glad I turned around when I did, because when I was about half a mile from home the cloud cover disappeared and the HOT morning sun started beating down with no mercy.

When I got home I had a BIG grin on my face even though I was hot, dirty and tired.

Total distance? 51.3 miles. My first Half Century!

Not too bad considering I just got my trike 7 weeks ago and have been out of cycling for almost 16 years.

My two favorite signs!

THE END