Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Change of plans

I was going to ride Monday through Friday this week.


Or so I thought.

I woke up this morning around 4 and immediately started thinking about which route I was going to take today. As my brain was thinking, my body started telling me "Take the day off!"

Although my legs weren't sore, at all, my body did feel rather tired. I kept ignoring what my body was saying and kept thinking. The more I thought, the more my body said "Take the day off!"

I kept rationalizing it by telling myself "But I said I was going to ride 5 days in a row." I learned the hard way, that it pays to pay attention when you're body is telling you it's tired.

I was going to take my trike to the local bike shop for it's free 30 day check-up/tune-up, so I decided I'd do what my body was telling me. I went back to bed and slept until 7.

I have to admit, it was a good decison. It felt good to not get up so early and just spend the day relaxing.

I took the trike in and they cleaned it up real nice. I had them take off the foam cushion on the handlebars and had them replaced with black handlebar wraps. It looks a lot better and is more durable.  The foam was tearing and looked pretty crappy, anyway.

I also discovered I need to check the air pressure in my tires each morning before riding. All 3 tires were showing a wear pattern right down the middle. They told me all the tires only had 25 pounds of pressure. They're supposed to have 70!  None of the tires look or felt flat when I checked them in the mornings. Oh well. I know better now.

On the ride yesterday, I was sprinting pretty fast for the last 5 miles and I'm sure that's why I was so tired this morning. I'll keep doing short sprints to help build up my endurance for doing longer rides.

But I think taking Mondays and Thursdays off each week to relax and sleep in isn't such a bad idea.

Taking a day off certainly makes me look forward to getting back on the trike the next day.

Well, that's it for today. No ride means no pictures.

THE END